Monday 10 April 2017

What have I stumbled upon?

"What's this?" I hear you asking. To answer this more than legitimate question, I need to digress. 
Once upon a time, the internet was home to many a great website on Marvel Comics. Fantastic Four Plaza, the Leader's Lair, Samruby's Spider-Man page and several more pages offered us great insights, behind the scenes info and reviews of old Marvel Comics.

Unfortunately, as time went by, the new direction of Marvel disaffected older fans. Eventually, most of these websites either stopped adding new material or ceased to exist altogether.

This new "Age of Marvel Comics" blog will try to recapture those days and offer a place where to discuss classic and not-so-classic Marvel tales. I'm your host, Shiryu, a (very) small-time contributor to the great "Appendix to the Handbook of the Marvel Universe" website and past moderator of the Avengers Assemble Message Boards, and for the foreseeable future I will be reviewing and discussing old Marvel comics. I should add that I'm not against what Marvel is currently publishing, and I'm a big fan of the MCU, but by reading classic reprints, at times for the first time, I realized current stories tend to lack the sheer fun of the old days.


So, how is this going to happen? A post will review either a single story or a longer arc, and include credits, a short summary, notes and a longer discussion, with a final mark on a 1 to 5 scale. Comments are more than welcome. I won't follow any specific order when choosing what to review, and my main source is the Epic Collection series of reprints. Despite the title, I may occasionally review not-so-old stories, the cutline being around the year 2000 for most titles. My favourite characters are Spider-Man, Thor, the Avengers, Captain America and Iron Man, so this will probably be reflected in the number of stories reviewed, but I'm also buying a few reprints of characters whose solo books I had never read (looking at you Black Panther, Ant Man, Iron Fist and Doctor Strange) so I'm hoping to publish a wider array of articles. As you may have realized, English is not my first language, so please feel free to point out any spelling/grammar mistake or line needing a clarification.


Aaaand that's all for now, folks. Next time no more prologuing: the reviews start! 

2 comments: